Pineapple upside down cake recipe: Machine-cut pineapples drenched in sugar syrup, how pretty and perfect! I used these babies in a pretty nice pineapple upside down cake recipe. I often end up baking with chocolate whenever I do bake and when I was asked to bring dessert for a potluck a few weeks back, I resolved not to let chocolate anywhere near the dish.
This recipe is slightly fansy-pansy. It calls for demerara sugar. I bought it just for this purpose, just so that I won’t screw up a second time.
Sidenote: Is demarara sugar available in India? If you know if a place, do leave a comment. Thanks!
Other cake recipes you may wish to try:
Christmas fruit cake
Orange cake with toffee sauce
Pineapple cupcake recipe
Flourless almond coconut cake
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Makes one 9″ cake
Adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor’s Cakes and Bakes
(Amazon | FlipKart)
1 cup regular all purpose flour or maida
8 slices canned pineapple, drained
150gm / 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
3/4 cup demerara sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup milk (low fat works too)
1. Preheat the oven to 190C / 275 F
2. Mix 1/4 cup butter with the demerara sugar and spread it at the bottom of a greased 9″ cake pan.
3. Arrange a layer of pineapple slices over it, slicing them to adjust and fill the gaps.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder. Keep aside.
5. Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and add in the rest of the butter (1/2 cup) and the vanilla essence. Combine until smooth.
6. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Don’t overdo this otherwise the egg whites will turn dry.
7. Fold in the sifted sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Then fold in the egg yolk mixture.
8. And finally the flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Be gentle and only mix until the flour disappears into the batter. Don’t over-mix.
9. Pour the batter over the pineapple slices and bake for about 30-40 mins.
10. Make sure that you test the cake and not go by time because the first time I did that, I ended up under-baking the cake by about 10 mins or so. This one below is done perfectly!
The butter-sugar mixture will caramelize and come up a bit at the sides. Its yum!
Unfortunately, I don’t have a great final picture of the finished cake. I had to pack this in foil and take it for a party so no pics of slices.
It’s definitely tasty but I am not satisfied with it. I think pineapple, butter, sugar and flour can make something better – so the search is still on. Leave a comment if you have a great pineapple upside down cake recipe on your site!
It looks delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
You can get Demerara sugar at The General Additives store is Sheshadripuram and Nature’s Baskets stores in Bangalore.
thanks for the tip!
I got Demerera Sugar from Nilgiris in Chennai.
It's always available at the Nilgiris.
While searching for a similar recipe, I found your post on another blog with no credit to you.
Thanks a lot for letting me know. I have reported a DMCA complaint with Google.
Hey Nags…i made this 2day for my dad in law's bday. it took me about 1 hr 2 prepare n bake d cake. but it vanished in a few mins 🙂 thanks a ton
I found out i had i/2 cup of milk whch wasn't mentioned in the method when does the milk go in? i put it in the end but waiting to see what happens.I also found lumps which i never have in other cakes?please help
made this 2day for my dad inlaw's bday….took bout an hr 2 bake it. but it vanished in a few mins 🙂 thnks nags