PUMPKIN KOOTU RECIPE
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Recipe source: Mom-in-law
- 3 cups of pumpkin, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup of yellow moong dal (I add more than normal, you can adjust per taste)
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- A few of curry leaves
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 shallots, optional but recommended
- 2 tsp of oil
- 1/4 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp of hing
How to Make Pumpkin Kootu:
1. Add the moong dal and pumkin to a wide pan along with the turmeric powder and salt. Close pan and simmer until the pumpkin is cooked and the dal is soft yet holds its shape – about 15 mins.
2. Grind together the ingredients listed under “to grind”
… and add to the pumkin dal mixture along with the curry leaves.
3. Mix well and simmer further until the raw smell leaves the coconut paste – about 3-4 mins. If there’s not enough water in the kootu after cooking the dal and pumkin, you can add it along with the coconut mixture but don’t add too much water at this stage.
4. Heat oil in a small kadai and add mustard seeds.
When they pop, add the hing and stir it before dunking into the kootu. Mix well and adjust salt if required.