Kanambu Fish / Mullet or any other medium sized fish with firm flesh – 1/2 kg
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Chilly powder – 1 tbsp (adjust to tate)
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 4 cloves
Shallots, ulli – 4-6
Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
Mustard and fenugreek – for tempering
Gingelly oil (Indian Sesame oil) or coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
How to Make Kerala Fish Curry:
1. Grind coconut, pepper, garlic, shallots, turmeric and jeera to a paste with some added water.
2. Heat oil and crackle mustard seeds. Fry fenugreek for a while and add a couple of chopped shallots. Then add curry leaves and chilly powder.
3. Add the gound paste, tamarind salt. Half a cup water may be added at this stage if gravy is too thick. Boil for 2 mins.
4. Add the cleaned and cut fish pieces, close and cook for 10 mins.
5. Serve hot with rice and any thoran.
Note: Replacing tamarind paste with one or two kodam puli (cocum) would change the flavour of the curry. But we use kodam puli only in curries that use no coconut like the Kerala red fish curry.