Aloo Tikki is a quick and easy snack recipe using potatoes. Potato Patties or Aloo Tikkis made with grated potatoes and some mild Indian spices to kick-start a great evening after a nap. Well that’s what we did anyway. While potato bajji or onion bajji are TH’s favourite, I prefer these simple aloo tikkis to more popular Indian snacks with potatoes, even aloo bonda. Naps make me hungry. The reason why I don’t like napping in the afternoon is precisely that. And the fact that I take much longer to sleep off in the night and wake up cranky the next day morning. So not worth it.
Anyway, on this particular Saturday, the heat was unbearable and TH and I had exhausted the movie CDs we borrowed. With no inclination to go out whatsoever, we decided to nap, something we hardly ever do. I woke up 2 hours later feeling oh-my-god-I-am-hungry and of course, there were no snacks at home that I could immediately bite into.
Without thinking much, I grabbed 2 potatoes, grated them, threw in whatever I fancied which I hoped would balance the taste, and shallow fried into patties. The measurements are all eye-balled so adjust and add according to your taste.
They were good. Sinfully good.
Quick Potato Patties Recipe (Shortcut Aloo Tikkis)
- 2 medium potatoes grated (about 3 cups)
- A bunch of fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 generous pinch asafoetida / hing / perungayam
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp besan / bengal gram powder / kadalai maavu
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Grate the potatoes and squeeze out excess moisture
- Place in a bowl and add the other ingredients in except oil
- Mix welll
- Shape into flat patty shapes on the palm of your hand
- Shallow fry in a wide pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the tikkis hot with ketchup.
– If you have more time in hand, then add chopped onions and some minced ginger. I haven’t tried that but something tells me that would taste even better.
– If you try this recipe with any differences or variations, please do come back and leave your version in the comment section. Would appreciate that.
More easy snack recipes: