Pudalangai Kootu Recipe
Snake gourd / pudalangai / padavalanga – 2 cups, cut into 1″ squares
Chana dal / kadala parippu – 1/2 cup
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Shallots / small onions / chinna vengayam / ulli – 4 nos
Green chillies – 2 nos
Cumin seeds / jeera / jeerakam – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a few
Shallots, chinna vengayam, ulli – 3 nos, chopped
Oil – 2 tsp
How to make Pudalangai Kootu:
1. Cook the snake gourd and chana dal in little water until both are soft. This will take about 15-20 mins. I pressure them for 2-3 whistles to make it quicker.
2. Meanwhile, grind the coconut + shallots + green chillies + jeera withvery little water. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and temper the mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and chopped shallots and fry for a minute.
4. Add the cooked snake gourd – dal mixture to the above and mix well. Add very little water if its too dry. (I added a little too much, as is obvious from the picture!)
5. Now add the ground coconut paste and turmeric + chilly powder. Fry for another about 5 mins. Add salt. Remove and serve hot with steamed rice and vathal kuzhambu.
Another staple in my kitchen and we love it. I don’t add shallots though.
Btw, as far as I know, “thoran” is a dry vegetable praparation and usually doesn’t have dal in it whereas “kootu” is a semi slid preparation that uses chana dal.
I usually like kootu prepared with channa dal than moong dal….I love this kootu and lovely pic:)
Ramkumar – can’t place your name..
Yummy n a gr8 comfort food!
Do you know me
I too love this. nice pic.
beautiful pic.. love podalangai kootu.
i absolutely loved that pic .. Iam sure its as tasty as it looks
Oh mine too. I love them made in anyway i don’t mind as i love this vegetble.
It is a real shame that don’t get them here
That look so yummy Nags..:)