Banana bread is one of my favourite things. There’s something to be said about the consistency of a banana bread, so intriguingly named because it’s actually more like a cake than bread but can be toasted like bread and with some salted butter on the side and a cup of coffee – ah, delicious!
I baked my first banana bread with macadamias and it was a wonderful coincidence because the banana bread I tasted on my first visit to Australia was also a macadamia banana bread, so perfect and delicious. As you can see, I am a huge fan and can go on and on describing it.
Pretty much every cafe in Australia would serve you a version, sometimes even multiple versions, of banana bread toasted on request with butter on the side. It’s really easy to bake your own though, and the options to add different nuts, chips, flavours, etc are endless. This is a classic banana bread recipe made eggless with some walnuts thrown in for crunch.
Don’t be fooled by the dense-looking slices of banana bread in the first pictures. It’s quite spongy but holds its shape when sliced or toasted. Also, don’t be like me and use the right-sized loaf pan for square slices. I halved a recipe meant for my 9×5 loaf pan and got a shallow loaf which makes the banana bread look more like bars. Original recipe is from here.
EGGLESS BANANA BREAD WITH WALNUTS
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
4 cups of pureed ripe banana
1.5 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup of melted butter
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup of chopped raw walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180C
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with butter or cooking spray
- Puree bananas to a smooth pulp. Measure out 4 cups after pureeing and transfer to a wide bowl
- Add melted butter. Mix well
- Now add milk and vanilla to the above and mix again
- Now add sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix until well combined
- Finally add the flour in 3-4 additions, gently folding it in. Do not over mix once the flour is added to the batter
- Now thrown in the chopped walnuts and give everything one or two final stirs
- Transfer to the greased pan and tap once on the kitchen counter to get rid of air bubbles
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45-50 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out with moist crumbs. If you feel like the top of the banana bread is browning too quickly, loosely cover the pan with some aluminium foil and continue to bake. I add a couple of slits in there so the hot air can escape
- Once done, leave it in the pan for about 15 mins and then gently invert onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Slice and serve toasted with some salted butter to enjoy it best! You can store the baked loaf in the refrigerator up to 3 days
STEP BY STEP BANANA BREAD RECIPE (EGGLESS)
Use very ripe bananas for banana bread. The kind with almost black skins and squishy on touch are best. If in India, use the larger bananas. Puree bananas to a smooth pulp before measuring.
Add banana pulp to a bowl and add melted butter.
*Tip for melting butter straight from the fridge: cut into smaller pieces and set microwave to ‘defrost’ mode. Give it a spin for 1 minute or until you find some chunks of butter and some melted butter. Give everything a good mix. This way the butter doesn’t heat up and you can get melted butter in a jiffy
For banana bread recipe in Hindi, Telugu, Malay, Tamil, Marathi, Urdu, etc, please use the Google Translate button in the sidebar.