Aloo Bonda | Potato Bonda Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes 12-15 bondas
Recipe source: Amma
3 medium-sized potatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
2-3 green chillies, deseeded and minced
1 cup of besan / kadalai maavu
1/2 tsp of red chilli powder
A fat pinch of hing / asafoetida
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
A small pinch of soda powder (soda bi carb)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp of oil + enough to deep fry
A small bunch of coriander leaves
How to Make Urulaikizhangu Bonda
1. Boil the potatoes until soft, peel, mash and set aside.
2. Heat the 1 tbsp oil and lightly saute the onions, ginger, , chillies, and garlic until the onions turn golden brown. Add the mashed potatoes and salt and mix well to combine. Add the chopped coriander leaves. Cook for another 2 mins and aside to cool.
3. Once cool, make small balls of this potato mixture and set aside.
4. Make a thick-ish paste with the besan, chilli powder, salt, turmeric, and hing. The soda powder is optional but I do add a tiny pinch each time.
5. Heat oil for deep frying, dip each of the potato balls into the besan mixture and drop gently into the hot oil.
6. Fry until the bondas turn golden brown. Drain and set aside on a kitchen towel.
When hot enough to handle, serve with thick coconut chutney.
If amma makes snacks, anything goes, even aloo bondas