So anyway, let me start by apologising to you for shoving this sinfully indulgent pudding / pie in your face so soon after what I am sure are very well-meaning new year resolutions. This is our challenge for this month’s A Sweet Punch and I must say the real challenge was not finishing it all off in one sitting.
You need 5 ingredients for this pie. There’s no need for baking and it all comes together in 5 mins if you have all the ingredients in hand! Dulce de Leche is important so if you live in a place where you can’t buy any, please make some. You can do this ahead of time.
More easy no-bake recipes: Steamed cake recipe, classic tiramisu, eggless strawberry mousse.
No-Bake Banana Toffee (Banoffee) Pie
Makes a 7″ pie
8 graham crackers / digestive biscuits / marie biscuits
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup whipping cream
A piece of chocolate (optional)
How to Make Banoffee Pie
1. Pulse the biscuits with the melted butter until they form crumbs. Press this to the bottom of a pie dish firmly. You can make it in a 160C oven for 10 mins but this step is optional.
2. Layer the dulce de leche over the biscuit base evenly. If you are using dulce de leche from out of the fridge, warm it gently in a microwave until loose and then spread. Don’t heat it, just warm.
3. Next, cut the banana into discs and layer over this. My banana was a bit over-ripe, so ignore the black portions.
4. Transfer the whipping cream into a bowl and beat until thick. Be patient, it takes about 3-4 mins for the cream to thicken.
5. Layer this over the bananas and spread evenly.
6. Optionally, you can sprinkle some cocoa powder or add some grated chocolate over the cream layer. I used one piece of Valrhona chocolate with 70% cacao. (Sidenote: if you own a microplane, grate chocolate with it and fall in love all over again!)
That’s it! Your banoffee pie is ready.
It’s a super easy and delicious dessert for large parties because it comes together in a jiffy and you can refrigerate it until it’s time to serve dessert. Non-fussy and easy!
– If you plan to store this in the refrigerator for a couple of days, make sure your banana is not too ripe. Otherwise, it will continue to ripen and taste weird in the pie when you serve it. You can store this in the refrigerator for up to 3 days if it lasts that long!
– Use the quantities of ingredients as a guide only. You can adjust them according to taste. I have used lesser cream than what the pie usually calls for because to me cream is just tasteless calories! Also, my version has more dulce de leche – because that’s delicious calories 😉
PS: Special thanks to Sharmi for the lovely linen pieces she gave me. The one I’ve used in the pics above are from her. If not for her, you would have been subjected to a picture of the bowl over my cutting board 😉
PPS: I have OCD about the different lighting tones in my pics above but sadly, my kitchen has very little natural light so there’s no other way for me to take and post step by step recipes and I’d rather post the steps than omit them because the pics are not nice. Bear with me, won’t you?
What exactly is dulce de leche? And how do I make it?
omg i blame my poor metabolism 🙂 wanted to try all sweet punch 🙂 just because of diet Consciousness i am not touching the sweet….banana toffee…looks hot 😛
OMG………….. loved each and every picture 🙂 blame my poor metabolism….. wanted to try all sweet punch……………….if i have 20 gms … i put weight like anything 🙂
Jus made it& it tastes grt! But the leche took double the time, i made it jus as u showd. Was the dish too small? I used a 6'' square dish.
probably it was. or maybe your oven temperature was too low. either ways, as long as it turned out fine, you shouldn't worry about cooking time for dulce de leche. it will vary due to many factors 🙂
Hi jus made the pie &it tastes grt!! Thanx 4making it so easy but the dulce de leche took double the time. Made it the way u showed so wat went wrong?
its not supposed to be baked right?
nope, no need to bake this banana pie
This pie is amazing and I’ve been inspired to feature it in my Friday Food Fetish roundup. And I'll be sharing on Pinterest. Please let me know if you have any objections and KEEP IT COMING!
Thank you for your support and yes it's fine to share 🙂