– this is the only recipe that has received as many good feedback as disappointing feedback.Most people said this or a variation of this – “I tried your paneer butter masala recipe today. It came out nicely, I did everything you mentioned but it didn’t come out like the one we had in that North Indian restaurant last weekend and my husband/wife/mom/dad/sibling loved! Help!”
I’d say the only thing that’s different from this dish and the one you get in Indian restaurants is the difference in the colour. That’s because they add red food colour and I didn’t. Note: I have updated the ingredients and measurements based on many trials of this paneer butter masala recipe, in case you have tried it before and can notice the changes.You may also wish to try some of my other super popular paneer recipes – matar paneer, paneer jalfrezi, and paneer tikka.
- 2 cups of cubed paneer or tofu
- 1 cup of sliced onions
- 2 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tbsp of canned tomato paste (or 1 cup tomato puree)
- 2 tsp of tomato ketchup
- 1 large pinch kasuri methi
- ¾ cup of milk
- ¾ cup of cream
- 2 tbsp of butter or oil
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the paneer/tofu cubes until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 more tbsp oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Next, add the dhania, garam masala, chilli powder and some salt. Fry for 30 seconds.
- To this, add the tomato paste/puree, tomato sauce and kasuri methi. Mix well and add the milk.
- Lower fire and cook covered for 5 mins.
- Open lid, add the fried paneer/tofu and the cream. Mix well and simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with nan, roti, pulao, or jeera rice
Add 2 tbsp oil to a hot pan and swirl around until the base of the pan is well coated.
Add 1 tbsp oil to the same pan and thrown 1 medium-sized chopped onion.Fry until golden brown. To this, add 1 tbsp freshly minced ginger-garlic paste. (Ok fine, use your bottled paste, it just doesn’t taste as good)
Next we need tomato ketchup or tomato sauce, the bottled Maggi/Heinz kind. Add in about 1tbsp of this.Bring out your kasuri methi next. A generous pinch of this needs to go in.
Because when they say Paneer Butter Masala, this is what they expect!
For Paneer Butter Masala recipe in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, please use the Google Translate button on the top right of this website.