Dum Aloo | Aloo Dum Recipe
Baby Potatoes / New potatoes – 15
Tomato – 1 large, chopped
Onion – 1, chopped
Green chillies – 2
Ginger – a 1″ piece
Garlic – 3 cloves (or 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste)
Yogurt / curd – 2 Tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander (cilantro) leaves – for garnishing
Coriander / malli powder – 2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
curry powder or garam masala – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera / jeerakam – 1/2 tsp
How to make Dum Aloo:
1. Wash the potatoes and boil in water till cooked. Cool, peel and keep aside. (I cooked them in the pressure cooker for 1 whistle)
2. Puree the tomato and keep aside.
3. Grind the onion, garlic, ginger and green chilly to a paste.
4. Beat curd to remove any lumps and mix all the spices in it. Stir well to make a paste. Add a little water if too thick.
5. Heat oil in a pan and when hot, add the cumin seeds. When it starts spluttering and turns brown, add the onion-chilly-ginger-garlic paste and fry for about 3 mins.
6. Now add the yogurt mix and stir continuously for 4 mins.
7. Mix in the tomato puree and the add the potatoes. Cook covered for 2 mins and then leave pan open on a medium flame and cook till the oil separates from the gravy. Add salt.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve Dum Aloo with rotis / chapatis.