Ingredients: (to serve 2):
Carrots: 2 small
Raw banana (vazhakka): 1 small
Tomato: 1 big
Cucumber: 1 small
Ivy Gourd (kovakka): 6
Raw mango: 1
Green chillies: 6
Freshly grated coconut: 1/2 cup
Jeera powder: 1.5 teaspoon
Curry leaves: 2 strands
Onions: 1/2 finely chopped
Coconut oil: 3 tablespoons
Curd: 3 tablespoons
Salt: to taste
How to make Aviyal:
1. Put the hard-to-cook vegetables together (carrots, beans, drumsticks, green chillies, mango, ivy gourd) with water just to cover them and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. Cook till the vegetables begin to turn soft. This will take 10-12 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the vegetables (cucumber, onions, tomatoes, brinjal) and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Uncover and keep on fire till the excess water has evaporated.
4. Grind coconut with jeera and some curry leaves.
5. Add to the cooked vegetables, with salt, and mix well, making sure the the vegetables are not mashed together.
6. After 2 minutes, remove from fire, add the coconut oil, curry leaves and mix again.
7. Finally, add the curd, mix well and keep aside.
Aviyal goes well with rice and kerala vegetable sambar.