This is my last Diwali Sweet recipe for this year because sadly that’s all there is time for. I had never heard of vella cheedai before June this year. Mom in law made the thenkuzhal and vella cheedai on the same day. It’s very easy to make and a popular festival snack. I love any sweet with jaggery in it and generally anything with rice flour as a base so this is a clear winner.
Vella Cheedai / Seedai Recipe
Makes about 50-60 cheedai
1 cup of
2 tsp of
urad dal flour
1 heaped cup of
3 tbsp of
1/2 tsp of
A pinch of
How It’s Made:
1. Place the grated jaggery in a pan and add enough water to just cover it.
2. Bring to boil and mix well until all the pieces have melted in
3. Strain and set aside.
4. Add the grated coconut, cardamom, and salt to the rice flour. Mix well until they are well combined.
5. Add the warm jaggery to this mixture in three additions.
6. Mix well to combine after each addition. The dough should be soft yet not watery. If you press with your fingertips, the shape should be defined on the dough.
7. Make into small balls, not too smooth, otherwise they will explode in the hot oil. Just rough balls will do.
8. Heat oil to just below smoking point and add a few balls at a time. Fry until golden brown. Drain on kitchen towels and store in air tight containers once cool.
Here’s wishing everyone a wonderful, happy, and safe Diwali / Deepavali 2011 🙂