I had been meaning to make some lava cakes for a while, simply to see how well I can get the shape and inner molten centers right. For a first attempt, this turned out fabulous even if I say so myself
I baked this decadence over the weekend. It rose beautifully and the crust was cracked and heavenly. Be very careful not to burn your tongue on this. I speak from experience, like I almost always do. Learn from my mistakes, ok? The chocolate inside is burning hot when the cakes come out of the oven and they take a while to cool down which is probably the toughest thing to handle when making molten chocolate lava cakes.
Since neither TH nor I like very runny centres for our molten chocolate cakes, I increased baking time but made sure that the centre is still gooey and fudgy. This consistency was perfect for us.
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
Fills 4 medium-sized ramekins
Recipe source – showmethecurry.com
Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate – 4 oz (113g)
Butter – 1/2 cup + to grease ramekins
Eggs – 2
Sugar – 1/3 cup (75 g)
All-purpose Flour – 1/4 cup (40g)
1. In a double boiler, melt chocolate. Once melted and shiny, remove pan from heat and add in butter. Mix until the butter melts fully. Set aside to cool.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 mins by electric mixer, 5 mins by hand)
3. Add chocolate-butter mixture into the eggs, add all-purpose flour and mix until well incorporated.
4. Butter bottom and sides of ramekins (small glass/porcelain bowls) and pour in mixture until 3/4 way full.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C) for 10 – 15 minutes. Shorter for gooey (molten) inside, longer for stiff inside. I baked for about 13-15 mins.
6. Serve warm with ice-cream, fruits or whipped cream.
Yep, I had to push out some of the centre with my spoon to demo that 😉 Now, one thing to remember is, you have to serve molten chocolate lava cakes with some fruits, whipped cream, or ice cream to balance out the dense chocolate flavour – its really overpowering. True death by chocolate!