One day the baking bug bit me. It bit me so bad that by the weekend, I was itching like a mad woman to bake something! I usually have all the ingredients but sadly, no eggs. Since there are tons of eggless cakes out there, I decided to do a quick search. Allrecipes had my answer. There were tons of eggless cakes and eggless chocolate cakes in there.
Some had warnings that eggless cakes will not be as moist and spongy as the ones with eggs. I beg to differ as the person who tried and tested the following recipe and dare them to look into the poor, innocent faces of these muffins and say the same thing again! I adjusted the measurements slightly to suit my need and what’s more, this one is also butter-less.
So here is my eggless and butter-less chocolate muffin recipe. You can also bake it into a cake if you want. I used some frosting to add some buttery goodness to it but avoid that for a vegan version.
If you had told me last month that I would bake a vegan muffin, I would have laughed in your face and said that’s not my kind of baking. Well, guess even I am wrong sometimes 😀
Eggless Butter-Less Chocolate Muffins Recipe (Vegan)
(Adapted from allrecipes.com)
What I Used:
All-purpose flour / maida – 2 cups
Sugar – 3/4 cups (1 cup if you are not using frosting)
Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup and a little more
Water – 1 cup
Soy Milk at room temperature – 1/2 cup (I used low-fat cow’s milk)
Baking powder – 1 tbsp (remember, no eggs!)
Vanilla essence / extract – 1 tsp
Salt – a generous pinch
For Frosting (optional – avoid for vegan version)
Butter – 5 tbsp
Icing sugar / powdered white sugar – 3 tbsp
How I Made It:
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. This is to ensure that the ingredients are well blended. If you don’t have a sieve, just make sure you mix the dry ingredients well.
2. Add sugar and mix together. I used powdered brown sugar but its okay to use white sugar as well.
3. Next, add oil, water, soy milk (or whatever kind you are using) and vanilla and mix thoroughly, churning the batter in one direction.
4. Pour into muffin/cake pan and bake in a pre-heated oven at at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. If using frosting, cut muffins/cake into half horizontally and spread like in a sandwich.