Generally brinjal masala is made in a red chilli based gravy but green chillies add a wonderful flavour to brinjal recipes as I found out. Try out this brinjal rice recipe and serve with warm rice and any kuzhambu of your choice.
Kathirikai Masala – Brinjal Masala Recipe
Brinjal / eggplant – 2 cups, cubed
Shallots / small onions – about 12 to 15
Green chillies – 3-4
Tomato – 1 small, chopped
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Cumin / jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander / malli powder – 1 tsp
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp powdered
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
How to Make Kathirikai Masala
1. Cook the brinjal in very little water until soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Grind the shallots, coconut and green chillies to a paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan and temper mustard seeds. Add the urad dal next and fry till golden brown.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute until soft. Then add the cumin and coriander powders and fry for another minute.
5. Now add the ground paste and cooked brinjal. Continue to fry for 3-4 mins until the raw smells disappears.
6 Add salt and jaggery, mix well and continue to fry for another minute. Remove.Goes well with steamed white rice and any gravy, or even rotis.