Oats and dates ladoo with ghee, nuts, and some chia seeds for added crunch and to make it more fancy! If you want to make some healthier ladoos this Diwali, look no further because I got your back.
I have to admit Diwali this year is going to be even more low-key than usual with minimal sweets and snacks being made. Since Sameera, life has taken a 360 degree turn and I have no time for anything! Understandable, I know but it’s made worse by the fact that I work full time and so any time at home, I spend with her entirely.
I rarely cook anymore, baked bread once in the last 12 months, and pretty much whatever my helper decides to make (she IS a very good cook though so that’s a silver lining).
Diwali cooking this year is average at best and I may not be making any elaborate Diwali snacks at home. That said, a few easy Diwali sweets with condensed milk may be just up my alley since I am so short on time and a constantly stressed new mom.
This oats and dates ladoo is super simple and can be made in less than 20 minutes. Here are more Diwali recipes under 20 minutes in case you are short on time like me this year!
Oats and Dates Ladoo
Yield 12 ladoo
Easy and healthy ladoo recipe using oats and dates. A perfect healthier sweet option for Diwali this year
- 1 cup oats (I used quick cooking oats)
- 3/4 cup mashed dates, seeds removed
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used cashew nuts and pistachios)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optiona)
- 1/2-3/4 cup melted ghee, or more as needed
- Measure out oats and set aside
- Pit the dates and mash with your fingertips. Set aside
- Chop the nuts coarsely
- In a dry pan, add the oats and nuts. Roast until light golden brown, about 5-8 minutes
- Transfer to a spice grinder or food processor and process into a coarse powder
- Transfer the oats and nuts powder into a bowl and add the chia seeds, if using
- Mix well to combine
- Add the dates
- Using your fingertips, gently mix in
- Add ghee a little at a time and bring the mixture together until you are able to shape into balls
- Make small lemon-sized ladoo and set aside
- Store in airtight container in room temperature for up to three days
- Oats dates ladoos also make great gifts during Diwali
- Adjust the quantity of dates per your taste
- The amount of ghee will depend on how moist your dates are. Add more or less as needed. The general guideline is that you should be able to shape your ladoos comfortably
- The chia seeds are optional but add a nice crunch
- Use almonds, sunflower seeds, or any other seeds or nuts per your choice
Step by Step Oats and Dates Ladoo
Measure out oats. Pit the dates and mash with your fingertips. Set aside.Chop the nuts coarselyIn a dry pan, add the oats and nuts. Roast until light golden brown, about 5-8 minutesTransfer to a spice grinder or food processor and process into a coarse powderTransfer the oats and nuts powder into a bowl and add the chia seeds, if usingMix well to combine. Add the dates and using your fingertips, gently mix it inAdd ghee a little at a time and bring the mixture together until you are able to shape into ballsMake small lemon-sized ladoo and set asideStore in airtight container in room temperature for up to three days. Oats dates ladoos also make great gifts during Diwali.
For oats and dates ladoo in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu etc use the Google Translate button in the sidebar.