So as you can see, I am a quick and easy bakes kinda person. I love my baked goodies but I want them quick and I want them good. That also explains why I made these delicious truffles.
These is not a cheesecake in the conventional sense. Its a crust-less cheesecake, more like truffles, that's dipped in chocolate. Yumville!
The recipe is from my absolute favourite baking book - A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman!
Makes 20 small truffles
For Cheesecake Batter:
250gm cream cheese (about half a pound), softened at room temp
1/2 cup sugar (or a little less)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup whipping cream (or normal cream)
Small pinch of salt
For Dipping Chocolate:
8 ounces of semi sweet or milk chocolate, melted (I used Hershey's semi sweet chocolate bar)
How I Made It:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line a brownie pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Whisk together all the ingredients for the cheesecake. Isn't that gorgeously simple?!
3. Bake for about 35-40 mins until the cake is spongy but doesn't dry and curl in from the sides.
4. Cool completely and don't poke it with your fingers like I did.
5. Using small cookie cutters or ice cream scoop, make small pieces of the cheesecake.
6. Oh by the way, don't forget to melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
7. Dip the cheesecake pieces into the melted and cooled chocolate and transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper or a baking sheet (so that it doesn't stick to the plate). You can also try using a greased plate for this in case you don't have parchment paper.
8. Don't worry if it doesn't look that glam because the chocolate is dripping around the cheesecake pieces. Trust me and stick the plate into your freezer for about 2 hours.
Serve the cheesecake truffles frozen or chilled.
Need I say again that this is the most easy and quick cheesecake recipe I have seen? Once the cheesecake was done, it tasted so good as is (yes of course I tried it) so I am thinking of using a crush and the same cheesecake recipe to bake up a good 'ol proper cheesecake. Will let you know how that comes out, ok? Meanwhile, do yourself a favour and go bake this! Your family and guests will be wow'ed, guaranteed ;)
PS: you can dress these up by drizzling some melted white chocolate over the truffles, like you see in the book. I didn't have any white chocolate handy.
PPS: Marcy says chocolate chips won't work in this recipe. So to make the dipping chocolate for the cheesecake truffles, use chocolate bars.
PPPS: Check out my review of A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman.