Thenga sadam is probably one of my favourite mixed rice dishes. I had it the first time at my sister's in-law's place around the time her wedding got fixed. Amma had never made it before at home (even though we were in the land of the coconuts!) but after that day, this became an occasional treat at home. Its really a simple rice dish and something you can whip up in 10-15 mins if you have cooked rice ready.
Thenga Sadam / Coconut Rice /Thengai Sadam Recipe
What I Used:
Cooked rice : 4 cups
Grated coconut - 1 cup (frozen works too)
Salt - to taste
For spice powder:
Chana dal / kadala paruppu - 1 tbsp
Urad dal / uzhunnu parippu - 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies - 2 to 3
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp (or any oil you have in hand)
Chana dal / kadala paruppu - 1 tsp
Hing / asafoetida / perungaayam
Dry red chillies - 1, halved
Curry leaves - a few
3 crushed appalam / papadom (optional)
How to make Coconut Rice:
1. Dry roast the ingredients for spice powder until the dals turn golden and the red chillies are nicely browned.
2. Cool and powder coarsely with salt.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add ingredients for tempering along with the coconut. When it turns golden brown, remove from fire.
4. Add the roasted coconut mixture and the spice mixture to the cooked rice and mix well. Adjust salt.
5. Add crushed fried appalam or papadom before serving.
Rush in your rice recipes (mixed rice, biryani, pulao, poha, rice flour, etc) for this month's Monthly Mingle - Ravishing Rice event at Edible Garden. Last date for entries is June 15, 2009.