Vegetable Rava Upma Recipe: learn how to make vegetable rava upma using this easy, classic recipe, a popular South Indian Breakfast!
I love breakfast, and I love it more when it’s served for dinner. I guess I was just raised like that. We had dosa for dinner 5 out of 7 days a week and my mom’s idlis are very popular among friends in Kottayam. She even used to make them for small parties and get togethers where people used to skip the appam and curry and come straight for her spongy soft idli.
Anyway, breakfast for dinner. I continue the same thing after marriage too. TH used to say “dosa ya? Night kaa??” the first couple of times but even he understands the convenience of making a few dosas and having it with hot, freshly made sambar.
Rava Upma was never a favourite while growing up. I like my upma dry (or rather, drier) and not sticky. I also like to add any vegetables in hand to it and make it wholesome. Here is my super simple upma recipe that we have never had for breakfast yet, always just for dinner.
- 1 cup rava / semolina
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (carrots, potatoes and beans)
- 2 green chillies, chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1" piece ginger, grated
- A few curry leaves
- ½ tsp urad dal / uluntham paruppu / uzhunnu parippu
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds / kaduku
- A few roasted cashewnuts to garnish (optional)
- Coriander leaves, chopped, for garnish (didn't have any this time)
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the rava in a pan until it turns a light brown (about 7-10 mins). Transfer to a bowl when done and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. When the dal turns golden brown and the mustard seeds splutter, add the onions, green chillies and ginger. Fry for 4-5 mins until the onions turns golden brown.
- Now add the peas and vegetables. Mix well. Add about 3 cups water and cook closed until the vegetables turn soft.
- Open, add salt and mix well. Then lower fire to sim and add the roasted rava little at a time, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to cook and stir for another 5 mins.
- Remove and serve hot with vegetable sambar and coconut chutney