A gluten cake with almond flour, coconut, and lime zest. Simple and easy recipe that you really can’t go wrong with.
- 1 and 3/4 cups almond flour
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 180 grams unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- zest of 2–3 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons almond flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Grease a 9″ cake pan with some butter
- In a bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut, and brown sugar
- Add lime zest to this mixture and stir well to combine. Lime adds a beautiful flavour to the cake so please don’t skimp on it
- Add melted and cooled butter to the above
- Mix gently to combine
- Add vanilla and salt and mix again
- Add the eggs and beat again until you get a smooth mixture. You can also beat the eggs separately in a small bowl and add to the batter at this stage which is probably what I’d do if I made this almond cake again
- Transfer to the greased cake tray.
- Smoothen the top and gently tap the cake pan on the kitchen counter to let out any air bubbles.
- Add almond flakes on top evenly.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool completely, cut, and serve
Keywords: gluten free almond cake