A chocolate olive cake recipe that’s perfect for even beginners. An eggless chocolate cake recipe which gives soft and delicious cake!
I’ve come to realise over many years of baking that using oil in chocolate cake recipes, instead of butter, is the way to go. It makes the cake way lighter, less dense, and overall just amazing.
This chocolate olive oil cake has been my go-to recipe for many years and it’s crazy that it hasn’t shown up in the blog yet. I think it’s mainly because I bake it for TH’s birthday almost every year and often when I have guests and these times are usually not leisurely enough to take pictures.
Anyway, the last time I made this chocolate olive oil cake, I did take some pictures so here we go – a truly no-fail chocolate cake recipe with olive oil and it’s eggless too!
I usually bake this chocolate cake in a regular square 8″ pan but after getting this Nordicware bundt pan, I am unable to bake in anything else so please bear with me. Also, this chocolate cake turns out incredibly soft and if you cut into it as soon as it comes out of the oven, like I did, clean pieces are not guaranteed.
The key to making a great chocolate olive oil cake is :
- Good quality cocoa powder
- Not to over-mix the batter
- Not to worry when the batter is “too runny” – this is normal!
- Make sure to pre-heat the oven before baking
A soft and delicious chocolate using olive oil instead of butter. This chocolate cake is also eggless. Adapted from here.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or atta, wheat flour)
- 1 cup white sugar (I have used a bit lesser than this)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Grease a 9″ baking pan or bundt pan with butter and set aside
- Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk – flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar – ensuring there are no lumps
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, vanilla, and water
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mix gently until just combined and there are no lumps. Do not over-mix the batter
- Pour into the greased pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes or a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean
- Cool completely before slicing. You can also frost this cake for a special occasion
- The batter will be a bit runny, this is normal
- Use good quality cocoa powder
- You can use regular white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar
- You can use plain all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or spelt flour in chocolate cake recipe. The texture may change a little based on the flour used
Keywords: chocolate cake, eggless cake, easy cake, baking, cake, chocolate, easy baking
Chocolate olive oil cake recipe – stepwise
Gather all your ingredients together
Add the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking sugar, coffee powder, and salt to a mixing bowl
Whisk until well incorporated without any lumps
In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water
Gently pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients
Mix gently to combine without any lumps. Do not over-mix the batter, it will result in a hard cake
The matter will be quite runny, this is perfect
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and give the pan 1-2 gentle yet firm taps on the kitchen counter to get rid of air bubbles
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes
Cool completely before cutting and serving. You can also frost the cake as you desire