Healthy blueberry muffins recipe using no refined flour or sugar. Perfect to make as a toddler snack.
- 1 and 3/4 cup atta or spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (I have used regular olive oil and veg oil with success)
- 1/3 cup honey (can be increased to 1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt (Greek yogurt works better)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F / 180 C. Line or grease your muffin pan as needed. I used my mini muffin pan
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix them together with a whisk until well combined. You can also sift this mixture but who has time for things like that anymore? Not me!
- In a separate bowl, add the oil and honey and beat together with a whisk.
- Add the eggs and beat well, then add the yogurt and vanilla. Mix everything well together
- Gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with a silicon spatula or wide spoon. Do not be tempted to over mix at this stage, just combine everything as gently as you can
- The batter is a bit tick so I use a spoon to pour into the muffin pan.
- At the end, add 1-2 blueberries per muffin and gently press into the top. I prefer doing this to adding the blueberries to the batter because that makes them sink to the bottom and become gooey on baking
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Start checking from around 17 minutes and bake until the top turns golden brown and a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out with wet crumbs
- Cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes and gently invert onto a baking tray and cool completely
- If you make normal sized muffins, you will get around 12 of them. In that case, add 4-5 blueberries per each muffin
- This yields a mildly sweet muffin. Increase amount of honey if you want it a tad sweeter. You can also add some sugar on top of the warm muffins as soon as they come out of the oven, for a crispy outer layer
- You can add some cinnamon powder for extra flavour and health kick
Keywords: healthy blueberry muffin, toddler friendly snacks, muffins for toddlers