Banana oats atta muffins are healthy and perfect for a toddler snack that can be prepared in advance yet are homemade and balanced for your baby or toddler.
- 1 and 3/4 cup atta or whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup oats (I used quick cooking oats from Bob’s red mill)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey (see notes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 325F / 160C (how to preheat oven)
- Mix together – maple syrup or honey and oil with a whisk
- Add the eggs and beat again.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by the baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Next, add the atta or whole wheat flour and oats. Gently fold to combine without any lumps
- Grease your muffin pans with some olive oil (if needed) and pour the batter in, filling about 3/4 of the way
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the muffins comes out clean
- Cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes and gently invert onto a cooling rack
- When completely cool, store in an airtight container. Keeps at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator for 4 days.
- Gently warm before serving to your toddler. You can also pat some butter to the warmed muffin before serving.
- Note that honey is not safe for babies under 1 to consume so use maple syrup or other sweeteners of choice if you are serving this to your baby under 1
- If your banana is really ripe, you can cut down the sweetness further. I cut it down from the original recipe and our muffins were just fine
- If you want to make eggless banana oats atta muffins, try this recipe with flax seed meal – mix 1 tbsp flax seed powder with 3 tbsp warm water and use in place of 1 egg. If you try this out, please let me know how it turned out
- The cinnamon lends a lovely flavour so I don’t add any vanilla. You can add some if you’d like
- You can also add nuts like almonds or walnuts, finely chopped, to the muffins
- The milk I used is full fat cow’s milk. Again, if serving to babies under one, use a nut milk or add water.
- If you want to replace the olive oil with melted butter, note that you will need to make other changes to the recipe as well. Here’s a good guide on replacing oil with butter in muffin recipes.
- Banana oats atta muffins recipe adapted from here
- Serving Size: 1 muffin