5 minute cashew basil pesto that’s a perfect addition to pasta, salads, sandwiches, or as a dip.
- 3 cups packed basil leaves, stems removed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted cashew nuts
- 1-2 flakes of garlic
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and remove the basil leaves from the stalks
- Grate the parmesan cheese, if using a from a block of cheese. You can add more or less depending on how rich you want your pesto to be. About 1/3 cup is perfect, if you ask me
- Prepare all other ingredients as well
- Add everything into a food processor or mixie jar
- Pulse until well combined. Now you can keep going until you get the consistency you prefer. Grainy peso tastes better in sandwiches but since I use pesto now mostly as salad dressing, I prefer it on the creamier side
- Don’t add any water, the oil should provide enough movement in the processor. If you feel the mixture is too dry, add more oil
- Transfer into an airtight container and refrigerate immediately if not using fresh
Although the colour may change darker on the surface, this pesto can be used for up to 5 days if refrigerated. Always use a dry spoon to take the quantity you need. I add some oil on top before keeping in the refrigerator.
If using this cashew basil pesto as a salad dressing, add a bit more oil to make it into a pourable consistency.
Adjust all ingredients to your taste and see what you prefer in YOUR pesto. Have fun!