So, apple kheer. I love fruit in dessert but hadn’t tried any type of kheer with fruits. I had an apple which was handed out as prasad at the temple we went to over the weekend and it seemed like a good way to use it up. I pretty much made up the proportions as I went about preparing the apple kheer but the idea to saute the grated apples is from Priya’s recipe.
I made the kheer in the morning (took me ~15 mins to make two servings), took pictures, let it cool, and then refrigerated it before heading to work. In the evening, I found that the apples had absorbed the liquid part and the kheer had become thicker. It was still delicious but check notes after the recipe to see how you can adjust the consistency to your preference.
APPLE KHEER RECIPE
Preparation time: 1 minute
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1.5 cups of full fat milk
1/2 cup of grated apples
2-3 tsp of sweetened condensed milk
A pinch of cardamom powder
A few strands of saffron
8 almonds, chopped
1 tsp of butter or ghee
1. Bring the milk to boil in a pan and let it simmer on low flame. Stir frequently to prevent it from burning.
2. Meanwhile, in a smaller pan, heat the butter (or ghee) and roast the almonds until light golden brown.
3. Add the grated apple to this and saute for a while. The mixture will turn dry and the apples will soften a bit but still retain the crunch. I did this for about 3 mins or so.
4. Turn attention back to the milk. In about 10 mins or so, the milk would have reduced to half the original amount. At this point, add the cardamom and saffron. Mix and let it cook for another minute.
5. Now add the condensed milk
… and cooked apple-almond mixture.
6. Mix well and turn off the flame.
Apple kheer is ready! How easy was that?
- You can add raisins to the almonds when roasting them. Also, use any other nuts that you prefer, like cashews, instead of almonds. I just feel almonds are apples are a good combination
- Increase the amount of milk if you want a thinner kheer. As I mentioned. the kheer became quick thick on refrigeration
- Adjust the amount of condensed milk to your preferred sweetness levels
- It’s normal for the milk to curdle slightly when the apples are added. This is perfectly fine and enhances the taste of the kheer. Don’t fight it or despair that it happened 🙂
- Apple kheer is best served chilled. This is also a great Diwali sweet recipe for kids to get involved in since it’s easy and can be enjoyed by them too
Here’s a list of easy diwali sweets you can try this festive season.
For apple kheer recipe in Hindi, Marathi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, etc, please use the Google Translate button in the sidebar.