Green peas sundal is a dry preparation with green peas and coconut, often made during the festival of Navaratri in South India.
1 cup of dry green peas
2 tsp of oil
1/2 tsp of black mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies, halved
A few curry leaves
1/4 tsp of hing
1/3 cup of grated coconut
- Soak the peas for about 4 hours in warm water. Pressure cook with enough water to cover them for about 15 mins or 1 whistle. We just want to cook the peas, not turn them to a mush.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the rest of the ingredients except coconut and cooked peas.
- Saute until the red chillies turn a darker shade – about 20 seconds.
- Add the cooked peas and some salt to this. Mix well.
- Top off with the coconut and turn off flame.
- Mix well again and let the flavours mingle for about an hour before serving.
- Green peas sundal is now ready