A simple chutney recipe with onions and tomatoes. Goes great with idli, dosa, and upma
2 large onions, sliced
1 ripe tomato, cubed
2–3 dry red chillies (adjust to taste)
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp of hing (perungaayam, asafoetida)
Salt to taste
2 tsp of oil
- Heat the oil and add the sliced onions. Fry until light golden brown and soft. Add the red chillies, garlic, and hing and fry for a while longer until the garlic doesn’t smell raw anymore.
- Add the chopped tomato and salt. Mix well and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and the mixture is moist. Remove from the stove and set aside to cool.
- Grind without adding water to a smooth paste.
- Use some tamarind if the tomato is not very sour
- You can make this chutney with just onions and omit the tomatoes
- Add red chilli powder instead of dry red chillies, works well either way