Kerala Kappa Masala: learn how to make this Kerala-Style Tapioca Masala or Kappa Masala which is different from the usual Kappa or tapioca recipes that are prepared in Kerala homes.
I am fortunate enough to live in a place where fresh tapioca (kappa in Malayalam, maravalli kizhangu in Tamil) is always available. While in most Kerala homes Kappa Puzhukku is the common dish made with tapioca, this Kappa Masala has been a regular in my home ever since I can remember. It’s not mushy like Kappa Puzhukku, but the tapioca pieces are boiled until soft and spiced mildly with red chillies and a good amount of garlic. It’s delicious on its own as a quick snack in the evenings with tea or an accompaniment to your breakfast.
I hope you have fun cooking up this Kappa Masala Recipe.Print
Kappa masala is a Kerala-style tapioca masala dish which is easy to make and delicious to eat. This is usually a snack dish but you can also serve as a main with some chicken curry or vegetable curry on the side
- 5 cups of kappa or tapicoa, cubed (about 500 gm)
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 dry red chillies (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp of split urad dal
- 1 strand of curry leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Peel the tapioca and wash it thoroughly to remove any dirt and sand.
- Cut into rough cubes by driving the knife in and splitting it off the centre of the tapioca.
- Cook the tapioca in a pan with enough water to cover it by an inch, until the pieces are soft (about 10-15 mins).
- Crush or coarsely grind 5 cloves of garlic and 5 red chillies together in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- When they pop, add the garlic-chilli paste along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and fry for 10 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the cooked tapioca, salt, and the curry leaves.
- Mix well and continue to stir until the spices coat the tapioca.
- Taste to ensure all spices are to your taste and remove from heat
- Serve hot with tea
Step by Step Kerala Kappa Masala Recipe:
Peel the tapioca and wash it thoroughly. Cut into rough cubes by driving the knife in and splitting it off the centre of the tapioca.
Cook the tapioca in a pan with enough water to cover it by an inch, until the pieces are soft (about 10-15 mins).
Drain the remaining water and discard.
Crush or coarsely grind the garlic and red chillies together in a pestle and Mortar.
Heat oil and add the mustard seeds following by the split urad dal.
When the mustard seeds pop, add the garlic-chilli paste along with the turmeric powder and fry for 10 seconds so that the paste turns fragrant.
Add the cooked tapioca, salt, and the curry leaves.
Mix well and continue to stir until the spices coat the tapioca.
That’s it! Hot and delicious Kappa Masala is ready. Wasn’t that easy?
Love the serving dish? Check out more details of where I buy my food photo props from!
– Use fresh garlic please. None of that minced bottled stuff.
– You can use red chilli powder if you don’t have whole chillies.
– The kappa must be cooked soft before you proceed with the rest of the cooking process.
For Kerala kappa masala recipe in Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Urdu, etc please use the Google translate button in the sidebar.