If you like corn, this one’s a definite winner. If you don’t, well, this one could turn you around like it did my MIL!
Corn Malai Subzi / Corn Sandwich Filling Recipe
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
2 cups of corn kernels, canned or thawed if frozen
2 onions, chopped fine
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 green chillies, chopped fine
1 tsp of cumin seeds / jeera
2 tbsp of cream cheese (or hung curd)
1/4 cup of red chilli sauce (check notes)
1 small bunch of coriander leaves / cilantro, chopped fine
1/2 to 1 cup of plain curd / yogurt, beaten
1 tbsp of oil
How I Made It:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Once it has toasted and gives out a nice aroma, add the chopped onions in. Fry until soft, pink, and transparent.
2. Next, add the green chillies and minced garlic. Fry for a minute until the garlic gets roasted a bit.
3. Add the chilli sauce and toss around to combine well.
4. Toss in the corn and cream cheese. Mix well and heat through keeping the heat low. Take care not to boil the mixture.
5. Finally, add the coriander leaves and salt.
6. Mix well and make sure the mixture is uniformly heated. Let this cool completely and mix in the yogurt just before serving.
Done! How easy was that? You can serve this with pulao or roti. I once omitted the yogurt and served this on toast as an appetizer. So so easy and yum.
Just toast some bread and add a tablespoon of this corn mixture on top.
Serve warm and enjoy the compliments!
Like I mentioned, there are many variations to the recipe. Here are a few:
– Add more yogurt (and maybe omit the cream cheese) and make it a raita. Goes super well with vegetable biriyani or pulao
– If it’s not easy to find cream cheese where you live, substitute with cream
– Add ketchup or tomato sauce or even one pureed tomato instead of the chilli sauce for a different flavour
– The corn I use is not the sweet kind so make sure you check before buying. If it’s sweet corn, the taste will change significantly.
Huge thanks to Divya (and her mom) for this awesome keeper of a recipe! 🙂