Eggless condensed milk pudding with or China grass is one of those desserts I wish I’d made ages ago and shared the recipe with you all. It’s easy, it’s eggless and it’s delicious.
This pudding forms the base of many desserts in Kerala and I have had it in many forms during my childhood. I
My sister first mentioned this Eggless condensed milk pudding to me saying that my niece made it for her Jain friend because she can’t take eggs in her diet. The thickener of choice in this pudding is China grass or agar agar. It’s a plant-based thickener derived from some form of algae (I wouldn’t investigate too much into this if I were you) and is a vegetarian substitute for gelatin used most commonly in desserts as a thickening agent.
Because of where China grass is derived from, this pudding is also called mousse pudding or moss pudding in Kerala! Interesting trivia.
The pudding is best served with some topping and praline is the best fit, although some chocolate sauce or ganache would taste fab too. You can make it as sweet or subtle as you want, its completely up to you. Also check out this fabulous panna cotta recipe, an easy eggless mango ice-cream recipe, my popular Oreo cheesecake, and this no-bake brownie recipe. This Kerala tender coconut pudding is another popular pudding recipe from my home state.
This eggless condensed milk pudding recipe is adapted from a recipe verbally passed on to me, all measurements are my own.
- ½ tin condensed milk (I used low fat Milkmaid - 400 gram tin)
- 1 tin milk (I used low fat milk measured in the condensed milk tin itself)
- 5 gm china grass / agar agar
- Roughly ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar, adjust to taste
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- Soak the china grass in the ¾ cup water for atleast 30 mins. Then place on stove on low heat and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the condensed milk, sugar, and milk in a pan and heat on low heat stirring continuously.
- When the china grass mixture starts boiling and the strands have dissolved almost completely, pour into the milk mixture.
- Bring this to boil, let it simmer for 2 more mins, and remove from fire.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour into any tray of choice or even a wide bowl. You can also use individual serving glasses
- Let it cool completely and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours) for the pudding to set.
- Serve with praline or any sauce of choice.
Do note, if you try to un mould the pudding before giving it time to sit, it will look all haphazard like my picture but it’s still delicious!
Use this eggless condensed milk pudding recipe as a base and customise as you like. You can layer it up with praline, jam, chocolate sauce, etc. You can also half the final mixture, add cocoa powder to one half and set it in alternating layers too.
For eggless condensed milk China grass pudding recipe in Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi etc please use the Google translate button in the sidebar.