I’ve been sitting with the compose box open for the past 20 mins and I can’t think of a single thing to say except that this fettuccine recipe rocks. I made it for dinner one night and hadn’t meant to post it on the blog but after tasting it, I had to take some pics so I can share it here.
Its adapted from the fabulous VeganYumYum.
Note: Fettuccine is traditionally pasta with egg in it so its not vegan by default. I bought vegan fettuccine from an organic store in Singapore. If you are vegan, please double-check the fettuccine you buy.
Fettuccine in Vegan Tomato Basil Sauce
5 bundles* of (vegan) fettuccine
1 cup mushrooms, sliced thin (use any kind you like)
2 ripe tomatoes
4 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 tbsp tomato paste (important)
1/3 cup water
1 tsp black pepper
Fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
How I Made It:
1. Boil enough water to cover the fettuccine with some salt. Once its come to boil, slowly immerse the fettuccine and cook until its soft yet firm.
2. Chop the tomatoes and blend with the tomato paste, cashews and the water. Start with 1/4 cup water and add more as you go. I didn’t blend it too smooth since I wanted the texture the cashews would give.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan and add the garlic. Fry for 30 seconds until lightly browned. Then add the mushrooms and saute for 2-3 mins until they soften a bit and sweat a bit.
4. Add the blended sauce with some salt and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if necessary to thin it out. I added more water than original recipe when blending so I didn’t need to. The cashews will make the sauce thick.
5. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well until combined. Add the chopped basil and freshly cracked black pepper. Adjust salt if necessary. Serve immediately.
*The fettuccine I bought was in bundles. If you buy in packets or any other measure, please use your discretion for quantity.