Kandi Podi-Paruppu Podi-Andhra Style Paruppu Podi Recipe
(Recipe adapted from here)
Toor dal / Tuvaram paruppu /Split gram – 1 cup
Moong dal /Paasi paruppu / Cherupayar Parippu – 1/2 cup
Chana dal / Kadala paruppu / Bengal gram – 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
Black pepper powder – 2 tsp
Hing / Asafoetida / Perungayam – 1/2 tsp
Jeera / Jeerakam – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
1. Dry fry all the dals separately until they turn golden brown. Mix well.
2. Add the jeera and hing to the dal mixture when its still hot and keep aside to cool.
3. Once cool, grind to a course/fine powder depending on preference.
4. Add red chilli powder, pepper and salt to the ground mixture and store in an airtight jar.
– With steamed white rice and hot ghee.
– Mix with some curd or oil and serve with dosa.
– Some variations include adding dry fried curry leaves to the powder. I am sure that’s yummy as well, I just didn’t have enough curry leaves in hand.
Here’s our family recipe for idli dosa podi in that you want a podi recipe for idli, dosa, etc.