Spicy Roasted Baby Potatoes Recipe
Baby potatoes / new potatoes – 15 nos
Onions – 2 medium sized ones, chopped
Garlic paste – 1 tsp (or 4 pods, minced)
Sambar powder – 2 tbsp (or 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp jeera, 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds, 2 tsp red chilli powder)
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
How to Make Roasted Baby Potatoes
1. Wash the potatoes. Pressure cook for 3 whistles (or put in a heavy-bottomed pan with sufficient water and let cook on a medium fire). Cool, peel and set aside.
2. Add sambar powder, salt and turmeric to the potatoes with very little water and leave to marinate for half hour.
3. Heat oil and temper mustard seeds. Fry the urad dal next until golden brown and then add the onions and garlic. Fry well till the onions turn a dark brown (I like mine just short of burnt so that’s how I made it).
4. Add the curry leaves and the potatoes. Add about 4 tbsp water and toss well.
5. Cook open for about 25 mins until the potatoes look yummy and you can’t wait a single second longer to serve it already!
Serve hot with rice and curry of choice. Goes weil with coconut based gravies, like kaalan.