I think I am beginning to like potatoes almost as much as TH! The picture of Chettinad Aloo looks too white because we are using fresh spices in the recipe and not the ground masala. The taste is still great and smells amazing, trust me! I will try to update with a better of Aloo Chettinad soon.
Chettinad Potato Masala Recipe
Pototoes – 3 big
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp or to taste
Cardamom – 1
Cinnamon – 1″ piece
Cloves – 2
Star anise – 1 (optional)
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp (or 1 tbsp soaked khus khus or poppy seeds)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
How to Make Chettinad Potato Masala:
1. Boil and mash the potatoes. Set aside.
2. Grind together the cinnamon, cardamom, anise, cloves and coconut/couscous with no added water. Ok fine, you can add very little water if you absolutely must.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan and temper mustard seeds. Add the urad dal and fry till golden brown.
4. Then add the ground paste along with the ginger garlic paste and the chilli powder and roast for 30 seconds.
5. Finally, add the potatoes and leave on sim (lowest heat) for 10-15 minutes till the masala blends with the curry. Add salt.Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.