So here is to her and her special day. Happy B’day Amma 🙂
Kadalai Kuzhambu Recipe (With Coconut Milk)
Chickpeas / Kabuli Chana – 1/2 cup
Thick coconut milk – 3/4 cup
Tamarind – one marble sized ball (or 2tbsp if you are using paste)
Rasam Powder – 1 tbsp
if using your own sambar powder, use 1/2 tsp and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Hing/Asafoetida/Kayam – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil and mustard seeds – for tempering
How to make Kadalai Kuzhambu:
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in 3 cups water. Pressure cook and keep aside. Or, just use canned chickpeas.
2. Use 1/2 cup warm water and blend the tamarind with your hand to extract the juice. If using paste, dilute it in 1/2 cup water.
3. Heat a pan and bring the tamarind water to boil. Add turmeric powder, hing, salt and the sambar powder to this. Sim and let it boil for 10 minutes.
4. Add the cooked chickpeas and boil for another 10 mins.
5. Remove from fire, add coconut milk and mix well. Adjust salt.
6. Heat some oil in a small saucepan and temper some mustard seeds. While hot, pour on the above gravy and mix well. You can even use some curry leaves at this stage.
Serve hot with rice. TH loves it with parippu usili.