You may also wish to check out this Mysore rasam recipe, my super quick tomato rasam, cumin rasam for a slightly sick day, and a good spinach kootu to serve with whatever rasam recipe you choose to make.
PARUPPU RASAM RECIPE
Toor dal/tuvar dal – 1/4 cup
Tamarind paste – 2 tbsp
Rasam Powder – 2 tsp
Red chillies – 4
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Crushed garlic – 8 cloves
Water – 1 1/2 cups
1. Pressure cook the dal well with turmeric. Once done, mash it well and keep aside.
2. In a little oil, cackle the mustard seeds, add the red chillies and garlic and fry for a minute. Then add the rasam powder and fry for another minute.
3. Mix the dal and add the tamarind paste with the water. Adjust the water at this stage to have the consistency you desire.
4. Bring water to boil, add required salt and remove from fire.
5. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice.