Chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate frosting, an easy chocolate cupcake recipe I made when I was still fairly new to baking. Step by step recipe below.
In a recent survey on the left sidebar of this blog, I had asked what makes you visit me. Is it easy recipes, step by step recipes, the food pictures, food photography tips or anything else. A vast majority of you liked the step by step recipes so I dug up this one from the drafts. I made these chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate frosting when I was going for this barbecue party and I volunteered to bring dessert.
The basic recipe for these chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate frosting is from Joy of Baking. I changed the frosting recipe to make it more colourful. I also wanted something I can carry with me and just spread on at the party since packing it after frosting would just make it a mess. Also, I didn’t have icing bags or pipes!
So, let’s get started on these chocolate cupcakes, shall we?
- ½ cup (50 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water
- 1⅓ cups (175 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) white sugar, powdered
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- White chocolate chips or bars - ½ cup melted in a bowl over a bowling pan of water
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Icing sugar - 1 tbsp (optional)
- Milk - 2 tbsp or enough to make it spread-able
- Salt - a pinch
- In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients little at a time, combining well without lumps. Don't over-mix.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16-20 minutes or until risen and toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Melt ½ cup white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Add milk, butter, sugar and salt to this and combine well.
A line up of ingredients required for the chocolate cupcakes.
The first thing to do is mix 1/2 cup (50 grams) cocoa powder and 1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water until the cocoa powder is well incorporated. Set aside and let it cool to room temperature.
In another bowl, mix 1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. You can use a sieve for this but I just used a spoon and mixed it for 2-3 mins until combined well.
Now its time to bring out the butter, sugar and eggs. Combine 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter at room temperature, 1 cup (200 grams) powdered white sugar and beat well. If you have an electric beater, beat this mixture for a good 3-4 mins. If using a hand beater, beat for 7 mins.
Then add 2 eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Also mix in 2 tsp vanilla extract at the end.
Add this mixture, little at a time, to the flour mixture and mix well in one direction, without any lumps.
I think it would be better if you add the dry mixture to the wet one little at a time. This should prevent lumps better. The mixture above took over 1o mins to be mixed properly without lumps.
Next, add the cooled chocolate-water mixture to the above (you can add this in one shot or little by little) and mix well for another 5 mins.
That’s when we get our chocolate cupcake batter!
Grease muffin/cupcake liners and place in the tray.
Pour the batter up to more 3/4 of the way. I could have poured more batter than this because at the end, my cupcake wasn’t as chubby as I wanted it to be.
To Prepare the Frosting while the Cupcakes are Getting Baked
Melt 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. What you see above is a picture of when I microwaved them. Don’t do that, the bottom of the bowl will burn and the whole thing won’t melt like you expect!
Add milk, butter, sugar and salt to this and combine well.
Slather frosting on the cupcakes when they are done and bite!
For chocolate cupcake recipe with white chocolate frosting in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Urdu etc please use the Google translate button in the sidebar.