Learn how to make restaurant-style Indian-Chinese Egg Fried Rice using this easy recipe from my Amma.Egg Fried Rice is a standard order of ours when we go to Indian-Chinese restaurants. TH is an eggetarian and Egg Fried Rice is his idea of living it up. Paired with a good Gobi Manchurian, our dinner is usually set and thoroughly enjoyed.
Amma generally makes Egg Fried Rice with leftover Vegetable Fried Rice so her version of Egg Fried Rice also has vegetables in it. Since I am so used to that from my childhood, I add vegetables to my Egg Fried Rice too. Erm... and yes, the lazy part of me doesn't make any side dish and adding vegetables also helps with balancing the meal a bit better *sheepish grin* :D
I have already shared the step by step pictures on how to make Vegetable Fried Rice which is pretty much the same for Egg Fried Rice too. I have also added the couple ofextra steps below to make it easier for you.
Egg Fried Rice RecipePreparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Recipe source: Amma
Ingredients for Fried Rice:
4 cups of cooked rice (here's how to cook rice for fried rice)
1 cup of mixed vegetables, chopped fine (use carrots, French beans and capsicum), optional
1 small bunch of celery stalks, chopped fine (discard the leaves)
1 small bunch of spring onions, chopped fine
2 tsp of soya sauce
1 tsp of green chilli sauce (this is my favourite brand)
2 tsp of tomato sauce or ketchup
1 tbsp of freshly minced ginger + garlic
2 onions, sliced
1 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
1-2 tbsp of oil
How to Make Egg Fried Rice:
1. Heat oil and add the onions. Let them fry on medium heat until light golden brown, don't let them brown too much. Then, add the ginger + garlic and saute for another 2 mins.
2. Add the finely chopped vegetables (if using) and celery and mix well. Cook for 2-3 mins until they wilt just a bit. Then add the soya sauce, tomato sauce, and green chilli sauce. Fry on high heat until the sauces bubble and reduce flame to medium-high, stirring constantly. Continue to stir-fry for another 2-3 mins. The vegetables should be cooked yet crunchy and not mushy or soft. If you are not using vegetables, you can skip to the next step after adding the sauces but I do recommend adding atleast some capsicum to your egg fried rice to add some extra punch.
3. Add the cooked rice and stir well to combine. Remove from fire, check for salt and add more if required. Add the pepper powder and spring onions and set aside.
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs + some salt + some pepper with a fork.
5. Scramble in a small pan with about 1 tsp oil and gently fold into the prepared rice. Don't break down the egg pieces too much while scrambling or over cook the eggs. Stop when they are a bit moist, they will cook a bit more with the heat from the pan and from the rice. Dried up bits of eggs are not fun, trust me!
That's it! Delicious Indo-Chinese Egg Fried Rice is ready.
Here are some great side dish recipe ideas for Egg Fried Rice you may like:- Gobi Manchurian
- Chilli Soya Chunks
- Chilli Paneer
- Schezwan Vegetables
- Chilli Chicken