Do not get thrown away by the blahh pic of aloo chettinad accompanying this recipe. You have to try it to see how awesome it tastes. Before I go any further, this recipe is an original one but from a cousin. She is very new to cooking and yet came up with this amazingly flavourful dish for us. I took the recipe from her (she just calls it throwing a few things together) and have made it twice in 2 weeks.
Chettinad Potato Masala Recipe
Pototoes - 3 big
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp or to taste
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Cloves - 2
Star anise - 1 (optional)
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp (or 1 tbsp soaked khus khus or poppy seeds)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
How to Make Chettinad Potato Masala:
1. Boil and mash the potatoes. Set aside.
2. Grind together the cinnamon, cardamom, anise, cloves and coconut/couscous with no added water. Ok fine, you can add very little water if you absolutely must.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan and temper mustard seeds. Add the urad dal and fry till golden brown.
4. Then add the ground paste along with the ginger garlic paste and the chilli powder and roast for 30 seconds.
5. Finally, add the potatoes and leave on sim (lowest heat) for 10-15 minutes till the masala blends with the curry. Add salt.Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.
Kerala Potato Stew
Potato Cabbage Gravy